Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Top 10 Party Songs Of All Time

Every wonder what the greatest party songs of all time are? Me too. During my college years, I conducted extensive research as a semi-professional DJ. I am here today to share with you my findings. These songs evoke the most enthusiastic reactions and create the best atmosphere when played at parties. Do not listen to these songs when not at a party, they are to be reserved and used sparingly.

10. Centerfold
The hit song by The J. Geils Band is one of my personal favorites and probably a bit of a shocker to make this list. It has a catchy rift, sing-a-long lyrics and even some chanting. What more could you want? As much as I love rap and new millennium dance music, every party needs some songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s (my list reflects that).

9. Hot Hot Hot
Harry Belafonte made this list? Yes he did; all thanks to the Congo line. Next time you are at this party, throw this song on and start a Congo line. You won't stop smiling for at least four minutes and it will make you feel like you are on a tropical island. I promise.
8. Get Down On It
Kool and The Gang always does it right. This song epitomizes disco music where it is all about dancing. Go to any live oldies cover band and this song will undoubtedly be played because it is a timeless beat. Other songs similar to this one that could have made the list: "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire and "Shout" by the Isley Brothers. I also recommend Pandora station "Funk" if you are in to this genre.
7. Flo Rida
As much as it pains me to put Flo Rida on this list, my research found that his songs are very big hits at parties. They all have great beats, simple lyrics and annoyingly-catchy hooks. Select from the following: "Low", "Club Can't Handle Me", "Right Round", "Wild Ones", "Good Feeling", "Whistle". I gave Flo Rida his own number because not one of his songs deserves to stand alone on this list, but his top hits in culmination deserve to make the cut.
6. Bump N' Grind
My mind told me not to put this song on the list....but my body, MY BODY, was telling me yes. This song is a personal favorite and one that must be played at each and every party from now until the end of time. R. Kelly, you are immortal. Honorable mention: Ignition(remix).
5. Hot in Herre
Remember when Nelly was good? Country Grammar was the only subject I liked in school. This song embodies turn of the century rap - loud bass, party music with very suggestive lyrics. My top five are all classics and are songs that I will show my kids once they come of age. Classic rock is timeless music that people will listen to forever; 2000s hip-hop is music that people will party to forever. Country Grammar 101: Herre = here.
4. Get Low
I was going to say something about this song, but there isn't much to say. It speaks for itself.
3. Shake Ya Tailfeather
Nelly, P. Diddy and Murphy Lee straight from the soundtrack of Bad Boys II, how much better can you get? This song is a high-energy, thought provoking masterpiece. It's also from the album "Murphy's Law". It's fun to think about Murphy Lee sitting around in the studio trying to think of names for his new album. He settles on the old adage that means "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". Nice play on words, Murph.
2. In Da Club
O, how I love 50 cent from ten years ago. He came out with hit after hit and "In Da Club" was the biggest of them all. Contagious beat and a song that will always bring me back. 50 cent also started the "shawty" phenomenon with this song and it has been a staple pronoun in the rap game since. Thanks Fiddy.
1. Yeah!
Was there any doubt what song was going to be number one? I knew it would be even before I sat down and gave it some thought. Usher brings the heat and Ludacris kills it at the end. The song is called "Yeah!" not "Yeah" and that sums up how I feel when I hear this song at a party. "Yeah!" is the Michael Jordan of party songs with "In Da Club" being the Lebron James. Did I just find a way to say Jordan is better than Lebron in an article about the top ten party songs? Yep, and that is what's wrong with our culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment